Why are Large-Cap Leaders leading?
Large Caps Performance Table
While the major indices still try to sort out the next interest rate direction, soft, hard, or no landing, and/or if inflation has peaked, a few stocks have dominated.
Companies like Steel Dynamics (NASDAQ:STLD) (both holdings in the quant model) are in the manufacturing and infrastructure sectors.
“Existing programs sponsored by the industry and government, such as Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles, Aerospace Industry Association, USFEAST or AMTEX, or an industry-sponsored program such as the National Electronic Manufacturing Initiative, fall into the framework categories of advanced manufacturing systems and advanced manufacturing processes and equipment.”
In the current environment, manufacturers are reliant on infrastructure for receiving and then delivering raw materials in a timely fashion.
Furthermore, the scarcer the supply of raw materials, the more expensive it is for manufacturers and consumers.
To date, General Electric (NYSE:GE) and STLD have rallied and withstood rising costs.
The beauty of quants is they do the math without judgment.
STLD Daily Chart
Steel Dynamics (STLD) may be on the verge of another breakout after a month of price consolidation.
STLD, according to our Triple Play, outperforms the benchmark.
And the real motion momentum indicator shows momentum improving but not yet wowing.
Wednesday’s close was the all-time highest close in STLD.
With indices red to flat, that is incredible.
This and Century Aluminum (NASDAQ:CENX) featured earlier this week, are proof that commodities are still not only a thing- but THE thing.
And don’t forget to read the Daily we published over the weekend on Energy and Oil prices. That sector could be next!
MarketGauge’s mission is to bring you education and actionable investing ideas every day!
- SPDR® S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) 390 support with 405 closest resistance
- iShares Russell 2000 ETF (NYSE:IWM) MA support around 184. 190 has to clear
- SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF Trust (NYSE:DIA) 326 support 335 resistance
- Invesco QQQ Trust (NASDAQ:QQQ) 284 big support 300 resistance
- SPDR® S&P Regional Banking ETF (NYSE:KRE) 65.00 resistance 61 support
- VanEck Semiconductor ETF (NASDAQ:SMH) 228 support 240 pivotal 248 key resistance
- iShares Transportation Average ETF (NYSE:IYT) 235 resistance as the best Mod Fam performer and 228 support
- iShares Biotechnology ETF (NASDAQ:IBB) 125-130 new range
- SPDR® S&P Retail ETF (NYSE:XRT) Weak sector now-here comes more signs of stagflation